Sunday, November 2, 2014

"High School - America v.s. Slovakia"

(Posted Friday, September 5, 2014)
Although high school is generally very similar almost anywhere you go, I have found a few differences between the high school that I'm use to in America verses high school here in Slovakia.

My Slovak school Gymnazium Jura Hronca

First off is the fact that the cafeteria is open almost all day for students to visit and get food when they have a free period that isn't filled with a class. HOWEVER! I am not 100% sure if this is completely true or not, it's from assumed knowledge I've gathered through observing the hallways and the other students! And it's only my 5th day of school.

Second is that almost each student has a different schedule BUT shares an almost identical schedule as the students in their homerooms, depending on if each student is taking either German or Spanish. And those who are closer to graduating attend classes called "seminars" which are basically seminaries in their chosen subject (i.e. Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, etc.) For example, since I have not had a schedule all week for school, each day I have gone with a classmate from my homeroom to their classes that we have with the students from our homeroom, and every day I have gotten out of school at a different time. One day I got out at 2:15pm but today I got out at 1:10pm! And of course it already being Friday made today even better!

And third is that this school has combined elementary, middle, and high school classes, including the higher level courses which are called I.B. (something like international business something-or-other). Altogether the school Gymnazium Jura Hronca contains approximately 1,200 students. this is a MUCH smaller amount of students than I am use to! In my hometown of Portage, Indiana, my high school alone contains about 2,600-2,700 students; more than twice the amount of the school I'm attending here in Bratislava! AND Gymnazium Jura Hronca is the biggest school in all of Bratislava! What a small city!

That's all I've picked up on so far, but I'll be sure to update you once I find some more odd differences about my school.
Ciao!
-E.

No comments:

Post a Comment