Monday, January 5, 2015

Moving

Today (around 12:30pm to be exact) I leave the home of the woman who has housed me these past 4 months of my stay here in Slovakia. It breaks my heart that I have to leave, but I am given the opportunity to become a part of another wonderful family.

Eva and I have gotten along since day one! I've always felt comfortable talking to her, our relationship was that of two close friends. She was there for me since the beginning of my exchange and has shown me the ways of typical life in Slovakia. She has always been there to help me with things like buying my elektriĨenka (bus/tram card), showing me around the city, even simple things like my Slovak homework. But most importantly she opened up her home to me and treated me as her own daughter and was there for me every step of the way during the toughest months of my exchange year. She has gone out of her way to make me feel comfortable and at home during the time we have spent together.

She even reminds me of MY own mother in some ways - she's a great cook, she's a very strong and independent woman, she's very confident and social, we can talk about almost ANYTHING whether it's anything from day-to-day issue to politics, religion, spirituality, philosophy, or the meaning of life. I have definitely felt at home here with her.

And of course there's my wonderful host father, Ivan! He has always gone out of his way to make plans for the three of us and take us on trips as a "family." Every time we were all together it was always an adventure! He opened up his home to me when Eva was away on business trips and he also treated me as if I were his own daughter. He always tried to make me feel at home and always catered to any my needs during my stay. A day with Ivan is never a boring one, he's a man of many words and always has much to say!

I am going to miss both of these people so much, but at least I will still be able to visit them all year while I'm here! They have played an important part of this important year of my life and I couldn't thank them enough for all that they've done for me. Thank you Ivan & Eva.

-E.










<3

No comments:

Post a Comment